Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Lion Sleeps Tonight


I am not one for camping.  Bugs, sleeping in a bag, and the lack of a shower do nothing for me.  But put that campsite in the middle of Kenya’s famous Maasai Mara National Reserve, and I just might change my tune.  Enter Governors’ Camp, a collection of award winning safari camps and lodges.  I have my eye on one of the tents located in the heart of the Massai Mara, where all you have to do is step outside to experience some of the best game viewing in the world.  Don’t be fooled by the word ‘tents’ though.  These are luxury canvas tents with hot water and flushing toilets.  Travel & Leisure Magazine voted Governors’ Camp one of the top 500 hotels in the world.  There is a separate tent with a bar overlooking the Mara River and a dining tent overlooking the plains.  Just imagine eating dinner and having a herd of elephants stroll by 20 feet away!  I don’t think I’d be able to contain my excitement.  Going on a real safari has been on my bucket list since my 5-year-old self first saw The Lion King.  Not sure what happens if Simba comes for a visit, but I’ll assume they have that figured out.  The camp offers guided safaris by vehicle, by foot, or even by balloon.  Check it out!

Camping I could really get in to.




I can't die without going on a real safari.



Visit the Governors' Camp website for more information.


2 comments: