Monday, February 13, 2012

Hawaiian Island Hopping


It’s mid-February, 30oF, and I’m dreaming of the beach.  Even when it’s mid-July, 95oF, and the sand leaves burn marks on your feet, I still want to be on the beach.  That being said, Hawaii is on my list of places to go one day.  And I can’t just visit one island now can I?  Of course not!  So why not do a little island hopping, starting with Oahu.


Lanikai Beach...Is this real life?
Oahu: Kick off in Hawaii’s capital city of Honolulu, where there’s historic landmarks (Pearl Harbor is here), shopping, arts and culture, and tons of nightlife.  I’ve always wanted to try surfing, even though I know it could end up being the subject of an SNL skit.  Waikiki Beach is an iconic spot where you can take surf lessons, paddle in an outrigger canoe, go stand-up paddle boarding, or park your butt in the sand and sip a Mai Tai.  Another beach to check out is Lanikai Beach in Kailua, which is frequently ranked among the best beaches in the world.  Based on the pictures, I’d be happy sleeping in a cardboard box in a place like this.  If cardboard isn’t your style, there’s a number of bed and breakfasts in the area that look very nice.   


So. Cool.
Maui:  Next island up on the tour is Maui.  Conde Nast Traveler readers have voted this island the “Best Island in the World” for the past seventeen years.  Yes, seventeen.  In a place so beautiful I don’t know that you could pick a bad spot to stay, but I would head to the historic town of Lahaina in western Maui.  My main reason for this is to take a whale watching tour out of Lahaina Harbor.  Humpback whales are drawn to the areas warm, shallow waters during the winter months (they’re not stupid!).  I would take a tour/cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation.  They are researchers and marine educators dedicated to protecting the oceans and its’ inhabitants, with 100% of the profits from the tour going towards research, education, and conservation.  Can’t get better than that.  At night, reward your moral awesomeness with the traditional Old Lahaina Luau right at sunset.  Food, fun, and hula!   


Lana’i: Take the ferry right from Lahaina Harbor to Manele Harbor on the island of Lana’i.  This is perfect because the resort I most want to visit is literally right there: The Four Seasons Resort Lana’i At Manele Bay.  I first saw this resort on Travel Channel’s Great Hotels with Samantha Brown about 7 or 8 years ago and it stuck with me ever since.  However, this is not a cheap place to stay, hence this being a dream place to go someday.  If I tried to go there now I might have to sell a kidney.  The oceanfront terrace guestroom does look amazing (it better for $945 a night).  The resort has a private beach and a pool with an amazing ocean view.  You can also take a hula lesson and learn how to make a lei.  Relaxation and seclusion is key on this island, and that sounds pretty good right about now.


Akaka Falls
Hawaii:  Last but not least, the Big Island.  I can’t go to Hawaii and not see a volcano, so I would take time to visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.  Home to one of the world’s most active volcanoes (Kilauea), you can actually see the lava flow and change the landscape, and even drive around the rim of it.  I would advise checking the park website for eruption schedules though.  Safety first people!  Another park worth checking out is Akaka Falls State Park.  Sure, I could be like everyone else and walk through it.  Or, I could be all adventurous and zip line above it.  Um, yes!  I want to go zooming past a 250ft. waterfall.  Seriously, I do.  I can’t lay on the beach the entire time.

For everything you could possibly want to know about visiting Hawaii (including the 2 islands not mentioned), check out http://www.gohawaii.com/  Aloha! 

1 comment: