Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Follow the Yellow Brick Turnpike


Hello, my name is Kim, and I proudly admit to being from New Jersey (don't say “Joisey” and no one gets hurt).  I know, I know: it’s a toxic wasteland littered with factories, truck stops, and questionable smells.  I’m guessing that the people who think this have never ventured much further than the area surrounding Newark Airport (which in that case, I do feel your pain about the smell).  Tired of being asked ‘which exit,’ it has become a life goal of mine to get people to see the New Jersey that I see.  The one without a gang of Oompa Loompas running around on a beach.  So I wanted to share a few of my favorite spots that I love going to again and again, showing just how beautiful Jersey can be.  There's no place like home. 


Wildcat Ridge Hawkwatch.  One of my favorite spots in the world.  I’ve been hiking up here since I was in elementary school, and I still remember the first time I witnessed the view after the mile-long walk.  I remember going up there with friends and eating lunch on the rocks.  I remember letting birds eat seed right out of my hand.  I remember being able to see the World Trade Center, and I remember not seeing it.  Sitting up there high above the trees makes me forget about everything going on below.  Recommendation:  Go in the fall, the colors are awesome.




I come to Liberty State Park in Jersey City during the summer just to walk or ride my bike on the Liberty Walk promenade.  It’s a 1.3 mile stretch along the Hudson River right across from the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan.  I almost forget I’m exercising when I get to see all of New York Harbor.  Almost.




Splitrock Reservoir is actually very close to Hawkwatch.  The area itself is relatively unspoiled so it’s a beautiful spot to go kayaking or just sit.  I ride my horse on the trails back there a lot, and aside from him getting scared of the occasional chipmunk, it’s a pretty relaxing time.  Also, you can breathe here.  I promise.



1 comment: