Tuesday, March 13, 2012

London Calling



From Big Ben to Buckingham Palace, there are so many places I want to see in London, England.  I know many people who have gotten to travel there, and whether it was for business or pleasure, they loved it.  London is definitely on many peoples' radar lately because of the upcoming Summer Olympics.  Now, it’s a dream of mine to go.  So, what should you do when visiting this city?  Well, if you feel like going for a ride, take a spin in the London Eye, one of the largest observation wheels in the world.  It takes about half an hour to go all the way around, but that gives you all the more time to enjoy the scenery.  It’s a ‘view fit  for a queen:’ on a clear day, you can see all the way to Windsor Castle (about 25 miles away)!   



Speaking of the Queen, if you feel like reliving the royal wedding, be sure to check out Westminster Abbey.  The Abbey looks beautiful and it’s full of history.  It was founded in 960 and has been the coronation church for kings and queens since 1066.  Over one million people visit the Abbey every year, showing that you don’t have to be Kate to walk down its’ aisle.


Located on the north bank of the River Thames lies the Tower of London, a historic fortress, palace, and prison all in one.  See the Crown Jewels, armor worn by knights, and the Tower Green (which now serves as a memorial to those like Anne Boleyn who were beheaded there).  Once you’ve had your fill, mosey on over to the Tower Bridge, another London icon.


I could probably spend days in London checking out all the historic places and neighborhoods.  I want to shop at Harrods, catch a show on the West End, and visit King’s Cross Station (yes, I want to see platform 9 ¾ ).  So much to see and do, so little time.  Have any of you been to London, or want to visit any other sites there? 

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to London but I grew up pretty close to there in Dublin, Ireland. I would love to visit London and I especially would love to visit the London tower. I like learning about history and I really like movies like the Other Boleyn Girl with Natalie Portman/Scarlett Johansson and The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt. There's just something about that era that intrigues me. Now I have a list of things to do after reading your post. Granted I get there first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to London about 6 years ago! I loved it and am going back in December! :) Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to London so bad! Looks beautiful. Heard only great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to visit London! I have a few friends there so one day, I have to get there. One of my roommates goes every year and has nothing but amazing things to say. Definitely on my bucket list. - Christina

    ReplyDelete